Friday, August 30, 2013

Unwritten: Thanks For Giving 2008

Letter to Cat, Thanksgiving 2008

From: Elyssa Durant 
Date: October 21, 2008, 11:54:10 PM EDT
To: <redacted>
Subject: RE: The Powers That Beat : Chapter II: Older & Bolder

Wow- it definitely sounds as though you have your hands full.
I'm Sorry things are not so great right now... it's funny because there are so many things I wish I could forget. I thought that was true of most people with PTSD. Maybe in your husbands case, the bad memories are displacing the less painful ones such as your birthday.

At least it sounds like work is good- or at least steady. I have a few new projects, none that pay very well (or even at all) but at least it makes me feel like I'm doing something positive with my life.

I have decided to look for a job outside of the non-profit sector, so maybe I can find something at T-Mobile or Verizon for the holidays. They pay more than the school district, but McDonald's probably does too!

Staystrong, and keep in touch. I'll be thinking about you bot, and happy birthday to you too!

Elyssa

________________________________
Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

sent via: tmomail.net



From: Cat Bilnoski <redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:26 PM
To: Elyssa Durant <redacted>
Subject: Re: The Powers That Beat : Chapter II: Older & Bolder

Hey Elyssa,
 I *think* everything is ok. We just got back from a VERY long day at the VA hospital in Denver. They finally decided to diagnose his TBI, and he got a "prosthetic memory device" (a PDA) so that I can stop being his walking calendar :) Now, all that's left is to get him in the habit of using it. Hopefully that will take some stress off of us.

Now I just have to worry about surviving the holidays. At least this year he is making an effort to remember my birthday. (he put it in his PDA) He forgot our anniversary for the last two years and my birthday last year. I know I shouldn't be that upset about it, but it hurts.
And Speaking of birthdays- Happy Birthday. Are you a Scorpio too?

Last year we began a total boycott of Christmas. Our celebration consisted of eating a roast beef with our shithead (former) roomate. Thanksgiving is another hard holiday for him, so this year (on the advice of my therapist) I'm making a plan. The idea is to set a plate for the dead. Maybe if we can acknowledge that they're a part of the holiday now, it will help him to put the guilt aside for the day and participate. Who knows? Either way I believe that there is power in the old rituals....

 I've been thinking about you too, but I'm on some pretty tight deadlines right now.
-Cat

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Elyssa Durant wrote:
From: Elyssa Durant 
Subject: The Powers That Beat : Chapter II: Older & Bolder
To: Cat
Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 11:44 AM

Elyssa Durant has sent you a link to a blog:

hi cat-- it has been a while since i've heard from you, but as you can see you have been on my mind. let me know how you are doing-- i do hope everything is okay... elyssa

Blog: The Powers That Beat
Post: Chapter II: Older & Bolder
Link: http://thepowersthatbeat.blogspot.com/2008/06/finding-my-voice-in-silent-hours-white.html

--
Powered by Blogger
http://www.blogger.com/


Posted August 30, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment