Sunday, October 22, 2017

Remembering Corey Jones

Hey guys here's my write up. You can post maybe in activist corner against racist pigs in America:

Do you remember Eric Garner? The "I can't breathe"video of the brutal murder of a Black man selling cigarettes on Staten Island? 

I just had lunch with his mum.  She flew in from NY to support the other mum's suffering through the brutal reality of systemic police violence that plagues our communities across America.

They had 9 other families who came to Support the family of Corey Jones on the 2nd Anniversary of his brutal murder by an off duty cop in Palm Beach.

Corey was a musician who got stopped locally. And pew pew pew an undercover cop shot him dead in the road. No drugs. No weapons. Just the wrong skin tone. 

The other mums not so lucky. They were still awaiting justice for Cop killings a decade  ago with no justice for a  14 year old child who has 7 bullets tear through her body with an AK-47.  Hearing and seeing Corey's brother break down in tears gave me chills and he gave me a warm embrace and thanked us for our support. 

Gave me a big hug. As many of you know, I work on UK time so as usual, I was up all night and contacted Deray and he flew down here immediately and they fired and charged the cop instantly for the murder.

We saw our Community Stand in solidarity and they took bold and expedient Action to heal a community torn apart by the loss of this wonderful young man to his family and the community. We began to heal. It's been two years, and we share the same view that we held back then. That this must be confronted by all of us and pass effective, progressive policies to police the police and limit access to weapons. We're not quite there yet. 

I've met and worked with many people of color and never before felt such a strong bond with women I've never met but followed and written about for years. 

I've now met them, and I've never been with such a loving group of gracious people happy to have us use our voice to call attention to the injustices and fear they face on a daily basis within the Black Community. 

These mums worry and live in fear each time they watch their children leave home to face this hostile world with racis cops who put 7 bullets into a young man's BACK while he was on the ground "resisting arrest."

Let me once again remind you all that #BlackLivesMatter


--
Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee



"You may not care how much I know, but you don't know how much I care."



______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment